PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in Yorkshire
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2006, 08:26
meditek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Managed to get my hands on a Pitts S2C at Stewart Airshow in Florida a couple of years ago. I hadn't flown for about 28 years but did have around 40 hours on the old S2 and when I saw this Pitts taking 15 min flights for $120 I couldn't resist the temptation. I told the guy I hadn't flown for 28 years but had Pitts experience.Anyway, when we're mounted up he says 'You have control' and it remained that way until climb out when I expressed surprise at his confidence considering I hadn't flown for 28 years. 'I thought you said you'd been flying them FOR 28 years!' says the guy.

The old Pitts S2 stick had a slightly 'rubbery' feel like the old Lotus Elans. The C felt marvellous. Great prop and ailerons. 8 point rolls were a doddle. Instant recovery from accidental inverted spin. Time flew by. Suddenly felt extremely ill about three quarters of the way round a rolling circle so handed back control and let the guy take it home. Result was 40 mins S2C time for $120. Turns out the guy was a Pitts salesman - said I could have one for $325,000. Rather disappointed when I declined.

I suppose this just goes to show that old skills aren't forgotten. I actually think I flew better than I used to thanks to thousands of hours of computer flying with a full set of controls.

Who was 'the guy'? I forget the name but I think it was Mike someone. I've a photo of him (in the cap).
if anyone recognises him please post.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~meditek2/3rd.jpg

Last edited by meditek; 18th Jul 2006 at 12:54.