PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MK Airlines B747 crash at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2006, 00:43
Bartholomew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"[I]We all know the berm had something to do with the accident but it had nothing to do with the [i]cause of the accident."

Interesting..

(Here I go opening myself up to all sorts of abuse...)

If the berm wasn't there, would they have impacted Mother Earth?

With SQ286..." This aircraft did not crash mainly because there was no berm at the end of the runway..."

Considering the other 2 incidents in Jnb which I've previously mentioned, would they have had the same result if they had had to climb over a big earthen berm?

I am not trying to come to a conclusion as to the fault cause of the crash (the holes in the cheese did that already).... but consider if, in this case, the big earthen berm hadn't been there?

"RA indicated 36' prior to impact"

How many other incidents around the world haven't been recorded because there wasn't a big fat lump of dirt sitting at the end of the runway?

I might be wrong, but even after everything else that had gone wrong, these guys did their absolute best to get their beast into the air... and they would have succeeded..... but for the berm. Read through the other reports of the incidents I've mentioned, I don't think they would've got away with it in the same scenario?(should the berm have been there instead?)

Besides all else... these poor guys DID get their plane airborne... and SHOULD have climbed away... shaken and stirred, and probably would've dumped and returned to an investigation and a ****ting on, but would still be around to share a Scotch and a very illuminating story... BUT FOR THE BERM!

YES YES YES... I would close YHZ and every single other airport in the world who deem it necessary to place a BIG UGLY UNNECESSARY MOUND OF DIRT in the way of my aircraft which one day I might be trying to get itself into the air!!!

I don't think I'm alone in my thinking.....

If I am, then every other airport in the world should feel safe in putting a 50' block of flats at the end of every other runway which exists in the world? ,(Heathrow, Gatwick, JFK etc) If I am wrong, then please correct me?

If, like me, you feel that airports should be left obstruction free (within reason) please write in to this thread and help me out.

Rockhound... I'm not trying to pick a fight, all I'm asking is that you see reason in my explanation...they wouldn't have been there if they were doing things another way, or had more thrust or.... but.... at the end of it all... these poor guys saw the end of the runway coming, jammed up to radar thrust, dragged the poor girl off the floor on her arse, got her into the air.... and ran into a big lump of Canadian earth.

Fair?

I don't think so.