PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Washington National Airport
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2002, 23:30
Toilet Porpoise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion I think its edging on irrational that the NSC has locked out 91 and in some cases 135 bizjets from places like National. If I recollect the tragic events of Sept 11 correctly, it was not a Falcon 50, Challenger 604 or Gulfstream V that fell into the hands of terrorists and took many thousands of lives.

This is archetypal of our government in responding to an issue (any issue). A crisis develops with the copier machine in the office, the government’s answer is to throw the toaster in the lounge out the window and post armed federal agents at all area bowling alleys.

In short their actions make no sense and almost always go squirting off in the opposite direction.

Having said that and also going on record, as saying I believe restricting GA into any airport is unreasonable. I personally don’t miss one bit “Disneyland on the Potomac” at all. We now go into IAD or HEF if we cannot get a slot at IAD.

Three days ago we crewed out of MTN near Baltimore to PBI and our pax were from Arlington and I asked them if the minded the long drive to MTN. They said not at all, that it (the long drive) still beat the airlines hands down.

We have seen an increase of charters approaching 38% since the 11th all of them new faces, people with families flying to resort destinations instead of our usual pre 11th travelers, the biz types flying into and out of the major business city centers with same day return trips.

The airlines (at least the US based airlines), I believe have lost a good portion of their business travelers to us and will slowly start to lose the non-business traveler first class vacationers as well over time. In the past two weeks I have had more pickups out of Burbank-Glendale and Van Nuys than I have had all year. Mostly Hollyweird types who now are flying charter 100% of the time. One gent flew us from Burbank to San Diego and back inside of four hours, he told us the he refused to fly the airlines ever again.

Sorry for rambling a bit.

TP