PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No flap take off in a heavy 767?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 20:45
Mario Plekker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm...Thanks for the responses. Kind of similar to when I first posted a thread like this on a different forum. That was right after I returned from EHAM on that flight. Back then, the resposes were much the same. Some insisted that I was wrong, and that I had missed the flaps moving down, others saying that flaps 1 was a possible scenario....Strange. I'm hoping to get some clarity on this.

By the way, I may have written it wrong, but I wasn't suggesting that I was looking for the flaps to move after we started to taxi. What I meant is that, with my experience in flying, they usually push back, start the engines and do a check list. Usually the flaps are lowered (like you suggested) right before taxi, along with all kinds of other things you cannot see from a passenger seat. So no argument there. Also: You are right: I could definitely NOT see the leading edge gigh lift devices, meaning they were probably deployed.

The fact that most airplanes are equipped with configuration warning equipment (i.e. a warning would have gone off in that cockpit) means to me that the pilot elected to take off with that configuration. Hence my question about the possiblity of a "flaps 1" take off. There seems to be some disagreement here among some of you.

I guess we now need to find out whether "flaps 1" is a reasonably normal thing to do for a 767 crew? Perhaps they were doing a little demonstration, or a test?

Thanks for your replies, at any rate.

Mario