PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RIAT Memories
Thread: RIAT Memories
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 18:04
Comp Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was manning the Press Gate at IAT the year the MIGs crashed (1993?)

About 15 minutes after the incident, and having been ordered to close all gates to allow access for the emergency services (if I remember rightly it happened mid-afternoon as people were starting to leave?) a motorcycle came haring towards me.

The guy leapt of his bike and demanded to be let out as he had footage of the crash and needed to deliver it in time for the evening news. Upon being told he wasn't allowed out he removed his helmet and threatened to batter me with it!!

At this point a Civvy Scuffer stepped in and he calmed down!

At the aftershow party one of the RAF Northolt firemen, a fella called Chaka Kahn, who was on Temp Duty, turned up wearing a baseball cap embroidered with "Mig 29 Crash Rescue Team" and a half built Airfix model of a Mig 29 glued to the top of the cap. That had then been 'set about' with a lighter!!

It looked great, but someone didn't see the funny side, a Group Captain came up and made a bit of a scene until one of the Mig pilots involved came up, put his arm round Chaka and launched an almighty tirade at the unfortunate Groupie!! Both Chaka and the Russian then proceeded to get mightily drunk in each others company that night!

Heh heh...