PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 16:58
Maisiebabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am currently based in Cornwall. I've never done a tour in this part of the uk before and its a small and little known unit. Every village and town has it's British Legion, which is well-used by the locals. On Rememberance Sunday nearly every village in the vicinity holds it's own parade, indeed my Unit provides an honour guard for 3 parades (two on the same day, which isn't bad for a unit of only 35 personnel) for Rememberance alone and another two for BoB. In total the Unit is represented at around 15-20 events of this kind every year. This is because the people of this county take great pride in their Armed Services, Cornwall has strong links with all three. I frequently wear my uniform to Tesco if I have to call in on the way home, although there has been a recent Security bulletin saying we should wear civvie jackets over the top. I have never been subjected to any kind of verbal abuse whilst in uniform. My point is that there are some regions where we are welcomed with respect and kindness, Norfolk is another although Kings Lynn and Thetford may be a bit dodgy!
In my opinion the media, and the BBC in particular, are responsible for the lack of awareness and general apathy towards the Armed Forces. They do not view us as an 'in' subject, not surprising given the political bias of the head honchos. I would like to challenge the BBC to host an Armed Forces only Question Time with Tony Blair and the respective ministers from each party on the panel. No high ranking officers allowed and no impact on career for anyone who wishes to have their say.
If enough of us badgered them about it maybe they'd do it.....not.