PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career plan: RAAF to NASA
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 15:01
Douglas Watts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your replies and support. I have been dreaming of NASA ever since I was a child. Becoming an astronaut means everything to me, so I need to make the right decision's in my career to lead me to my ultimate goal.

ADFA is willing to allow me to undertake an engineering degree, however the defence recruiters are a bit hesitant based on two reasons.

1- The ADF is not prepared to give a pilot an engineer's degree, when they could train another engineer.

2- The ADF do not like the fact that the engineering degree takes 4 years. They give pilot's the 'BTech: Aviation'

Refering to the NASA website, the BTech AV degree will not qualify me for NASA. (Look at the Basic Qualifications section)

http://astronauts.nasa.gov/content/broch00.htm#bqr

That leaves me with having to find a way to gain an engineers degree during my service. My dilema is: why should I even work on the BTech degree? Can I get it converted to an engineering degree later?

The NASA website also states that 'Flight Test Experience in highly desireable'. This makes me consider becoming a Test Pilot during my service in the RAAF. However, Test Pilots also need engineering degree's.

I have heard about Pilots doing engineering degree's at ADFA, so it cannot be impossible. I think that I just need to find the right contacts in the Defence Force. Maybe I could convince the PSA at the Flight Screening to let me undertake the engineers degree by telling them I want to fly as a Test Pilot after serving as a Fighter Pilot... That might work.

I have been looking into gaining the Engineering Degree through civilian universities, but it is financially impossible for me. The only way I can get this degree before serving in the RAAF is at ADFA.

I wont let you down Brian. I am going to be the first Australian to walk on the surface of another planet, I just need to find a way to get there. :-)

I'll keep searching for information, Thank you.
Douglas