PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MATZ Penetrations - A Plea!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 10:42
Fournicator

gasax:

Can't help but feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall here - the military DO have transponders, and although in exceptional circumstances we can get airborne with an unserviceable one, in doing so we are bound by some very restrictive limits, it is therefore a very rare occurence indeed.

A great many light airfields, glider sites, microlight sites and the like do have low flying avoids, there will be a reason for yours not to be similarly classified, I suspect due to activity levels. In an ideal world every landing strip in the country would be avoided, but doing so would leave very little of the low flying system left. Out of interest, on an average weekday (when most mil ac operate) how many movements would be typical at your strip?

Ultimately, if you want the safety of relatively protected airspace, operating at a licensed airfield will offer you the protection of an ATZ, which will, in theory (am reserving judgement for the "in practice" side after witnessing some pretty lousy airmanship in an ATZ while flying this weekend) also protect you from other puddlejumpers, which a military avoid will not.

As regards a very bad thing making the military changing the way we operate - I'd throw that one straight back at you with some low flying complaint stats. It's interesting to note that the number of low flying complaints each year drops markedly every time the UK forces are involved in conflict. Please bear in mind that you have the freedom to enjoy aviation in your spare time thanks to the courage and skills of my predecessors; your continued freedom to do so may well depend on those of the current generation. Sprechen sie deutsch?