PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF SAR to deploy to Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 08:23
No Vote Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I believe to have been started as a bit of tongue in cheek, seems to have become rather an Open Season on the SAR Boys (and Girls). Surely this is not warrented.

UK SAR is struggling with the Queenie and shortage of crews, true, but it seems to be implied in some posts that the SAR Guys have any sort of say in what they do and where they do it. Even if they did have a platform suitably equiped, and in sufficient numbers to allow them to operate "Sandy Side", its the Ivory Tower Brigade that won't deploy them. They are not willing to accept the political fall out of not having the resources to pick up battered, bruised and beaten up bodies from the bottom of cliffs or the top of mountains. The press would have a field day.

As for the "Pipe and Slippers" image, surely you pays yer money and takes yer choice. If you don't want to spend long periods of time away with sand between your toes, then volunteer for SAR duties. If it's not your bag, fine, but don't knock those who have chosen a yellow hat over a green one. I appreciate that not every one who wants to do it can, be it because of manning or aptitude, but there seems to be a steady stream of young SH mates crossing over at the mo. I seem to remember (many years ago!) sat in the crewroom at RAF Long Sutton, that those who knocked SAR were those who had tried and failed, or those who had been indoctrinated by them.

Come on, lets live and let live. Surely we all bat for the same side. We all do our bit, some furthur away than others, but you may feel differently about the Yellow Hatters if it were your wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/son/daughter etc who gets picked up and helped out by them.