PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheelchair pax
Thread: Wheelchair pax
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2006, 06:46
aw8565

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getoutofmygalley, the skipper is totally wrong. The sooner we hear about wheelchair pax the better. They are more than welcome to call up with requests and I will tend to take the crews opinion over a departure stations' one. (You may be surprised to hear that we often recieve no messages at all on a flight (including easyJets) informing us the flight has even left, meaning we have to phone easy ops to get ACARS times. Nothing will be known about specials until the flight calls up on VHF, or if they don't call, when they're on the ground. Ciampino, Venice I'm looking in your direction )

Ryanair is the only carrier that Servisair handles that I think this could be a problem, as their passengers MUST pre-book and pay for wheelchair assistance for it to be provided on arrival. This can only be done at check-in, not a cash in hand job on arrival.

It often seems that pilot's haven't the foggiest what wheelchair codes are about, which isn't necessarily their fault but it is in everyone's interest, including theirs, that a brief understanding is maintained...

WCHR: 'Wheelchair Romeo' (walker/runner)
Pax can manage to walk the length of a jetbridge to a wheelchair/buggy waiting at the top. If on a remote stand, the pax will be expected to board the bus with all other pax and will be met with assistance on arrival at the terminal building.
WCHS: Wheelchair Sierra' (staggerer/shuffler)
Pax can make their way off the aircraft onto the jetbridge but cannot walk very far. A wheelchair would ideally be brought to the aircraft door and the pax wheeled up the jetbridge. If on a remote stand an ambilift would be used for disembarkation.
WCHC: 'Wheelchair Charlie' (liftoff)
It is assumed the pax is immobile and will need lifting out of their seat. An aisle chair would be brought onto the aircraft and the pax transferred to another chair (most likely their own) once on the jetbridge. On a remote stand an ambilift would be used for disembarkation.

These are the codes as I understand them, focused mainly on arriving flights but departures would be very similar. The brackets are slang that despatchers often use and are not meant to be offensive in any way, it's just the way things are. At LGW, OCS (One Complete Solution) are the company that runs the ambilift. I believe they often only have 2 or maybe 3 running at what is the busiest single runway airport in the world. I speak to them on the phone all the time (mainly with late requests for their services!) and they are a very switched on and helpful bunch who work incredibly hard. Just seems a shame we can't help them out a bit more for the sake of some very simple actions.

Getoutofmygalley, cheers for the info. PM me in the future if you have any queries on the LGW operation...