PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIS Consultation Meeting 8 Aug
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2006, 21:51
rustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
No, as I have said previosuly NATS have a duty of care to their "customers" to provide them with the information THEY require to enable the safe conduct of flight. They are patently failing to meet that duty of care. No amount of tinkering with the presentation of their web site will change such an unsatisfactory state of affairs.
You really don't get it, do you?

NATS' (or more correctly AIS' in this instance) "customer" is the CAA.

The CAA pay NATS to provide an AIS in accordance with international treaty, and that's exactly what they do.

In fact AIS go quite a bit further than the minimum requirements, but since there is difficulty in comprehending the simple bit, I won't even attempt the more difficult bit.

That there is a current issue with the AIS website is clearly an AIS issue with their (website) supplier and is being pursued. Vigorously

If there is an "issue" with the content of NOTAM, that needs to be taken up with the sponsor of the NOTAM. AIS might assist in this regard by helping you find out who the sponsor is if it is not apparent.

If there is an issue with what is being demanded of NATS/AIS, then that should be taken up with the CAA - as they are the "customer" of the service.

I know that doesn't assist people who cannot understand that NATS is a private company which sells some services to the CAA, but them's the facts.

Comments like:
Originally Posted by Fuji Abound
It should not be forgotten that almost the exclusive user of lower airspace outside of controlled airspace is GA. The majority of GA operates at speeds of less than 140 knots.
merely highlight another instance where you haven't understood and/or read the information. For example, read any CAA (ICAO) 1:500K chart and you'll see some text that says:
MILITARY LOW FLYING SYSTEM
Military low flying occurs in most parts of the UK at any height up to 2000ft above the surface. However the greatest concentration is between surface and 1000ft... (etc.)
To suggest that GA is an exclusive user (or even "almost" exclusive user) of lower airspace OCAS is bizarre.