PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Think I learnt about flying today...
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2006, 17:54
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love this thread!!!!

Met and turbulence are major killers within the aviation industry and hobby. Be it viz, cloud, turbulence, hail or any other of the bizarre things that mother nature can throw at us.

As to the one about vertical flow can not force and aircraft into the ground, that one is a distinct killer! A fair few years ago I was piloting an 11 ton helo into a small island to pick up a casualty when we were caught by a monster up draught caused by the north atlantic winds striking the rather hilly mountain island (yes they were that strong!). I lowered the collective to reduce the rate of climb but to no avail, I was effectively in autorotation and climbing at 2000 fpm. Luckily it all died down by 2000' and I could sneak back in by going low over the ground. Whats the reason for this story? Reverse the flow, place it at low level and then add in the inertia of a mechanical object travelling toward the ground at 1000fpm plus. This is where air wins and we don't.

Turbulence is an interesting one, especially in mountainous terrain, hence the requirement for greater safety altitude separation. The demarkation line that seperates the smooth flow from the tubulent is no stationary. Rollers exist below and smooth flow above. This line is, however, greatly influenced by what is upwind of the ridge/hill/mountain that you are flying past.

Honesty and a willingness to learn will stand all of us in good stead.

Avoid cumulo granite, read the weather but more important UNDERSTAND IT!