PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)
Old 16th Jul 2006, 17:42
freakin89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting started?

Howdy!

I'm quite aware that this topic has possibly been covered before but I have no idea how to go about finding such things.

I've just done my GCSEs (im in England), for which I expect to get 11 A-Cs, although hopefully only As and Bs. I'm continuing on to a 6th form college, where I plan to study Law, Classical Civilisations, Spanish and French. But I was thinking about careers recently and I rather like the idea of becoming a pilot. Does it matter that I don't want to do physics or mathematics at A-level?

I can't say I've always been interested in aviation, or that its even in my family background, because thats not true. However, I am extremely interested in travel and I rather thought this might be a nice career to have (I hear the pay isn't bad either!). Only problem is, I have no idea how to get started.

You need a "Class One Medical" ? How do I go about that? Dyou go for a PPL first and then find the money to continue to a ATPL or can you go straight to doing some kind of ATPL? What kind of costs am I looking at (I hear it's expensive) ? How can I go about getting a sponsorship (if at all)? And is it possible to earn a PPL during my weekends?

Bear in mind that I will still be in full-time education and have never flown a plane before. I've flown ON planes many times. That's about as close as I get.

Any input is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
Sarah