PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 16th Jul 2006, 15:05
captain Binns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career advice please.

Hi Everyone,
I am new to pprune and find myself in quite a similar position to many others. I have wanted to be a pilot scince I was 4 years old, 13 years on and I have done 25 hours towards the PPL, which has been fantastic. I have spent hours researching and sending letters off to airlines about career adive, but seem to get a very mixed response back. I am studying for my A levels and am expected straight A's in Maths Physics, Geog and Further maths. My school are pressing me to go to one of the top uni's, however I want what is best for the flying. I am aware that sponsorship is difficult and sometimes not an option. The question is would getting a degree like ones offered at London and Buckinghamshire, which are supposed to be 'Pilot studies' incorporating an ATPL be better than something such as meteorology (A subject I enjoy at school)?

I realise the 'go to uni or don't go to uni' option has been discussed untill everyone is bored of it. I don't have the money to go on an integrated course so getting a degree and a job at the same time seems to be the best way to start, just which one and where!!.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Kind Regards.
Andrew