PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Doing so well at RIAT
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2006, 18:55
harrogate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juliet
chill out people. i imagine what you are arguing (slc for example) is exactly the point that razor is trying to make - we ARE overstretched as proven by the fact that we cant even get a few jets to a major airshow!
Razor is on your side guys.

He's simply making the point that for all the best will and intentions in the world, you're struggling to muster enough planes for a PR gig on our own turf, so how are you guys expected to handle a full blown conflict, let alone 2 or 3?

No disupte that if a choice had to be made about prioritising sending the aircraft to an airshow or to a theatre of conflict, then the conflict should obviously take precedent without question... but there weren't any Tonkas in Afghanistan last time I looked and the half dozen or so that we have in Iraq shouldn't be a major stretch for the fleet (well, maybe they are in reality!)

Fact is, the Tonks went tits up because of technical problems - nothing to do with them being needed to meet the requirements of a conflict. Yes, planes go tits up all the time and always have done and so this could well have been an unfortunately timed coincidence, but you can't blame people for raising an eyebrow. You guys pipe on about overstretch all the time. Razor's just highlighting the upshot of a current situation from the public's perception: you're struggling to 'deploy' some to Gloucestershire to put on a pretty 5 minute display. I take an interest in these things and I'm a very 'lite' enthusiast to say the least (I'll pull over and have a 5 minute look if I'm passing a base), but the fact is I know about this issue and I'm a bona fide member of Joe Public. I'm bothered by it and I think the staffing and funding of UK armed forces is an issue that's starting to become the butt of jokes in circles beyond those moved in by you 'insiders'.

Considering what we're getting into as a nation (courtesy of Tony), we're not even a good force on paper any more - and we're a far better prospect on paper than we are in reality.

I have the fear.

Enemies: Right, anyone fancy a war?

Blair: I'll take 2!