PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forget legal, how about moral?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2006, 07:32
The Bunglerat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Centaurus
When you decide not to fly an aircraft that is clapped but legal, just remember the old truism: "Aviation is full of of unemployed highly principled pilots."
...And that pretty much sums it up. Do the right thing, stand your ground, and end up in a queue at Centrelink.

In starting this thread, I never for one moment intended to promote a scenario that absolved the PIC of his part in the decision-making process. It should go without saying that ultimately it is the pilot who should be making the final call.

Nevertheless, whilst I don't doubt there are some reputable operators who support their pilots' decisions in such circumstances, experience has taught me that for every decent guy in this industry, there are ten scumbags lined up in front of him - employers and employees alike.

I've never had a problem standing my ground when I'm not happy about something (and have lost a job or two over it as well - although I still sleep soundly at night). I'm concerned for the younger, inexperienced guys out there who want to do the right thing, but are victims of coercion and abuse when they do. There might be a few crusty old GA veterans out there who will argue that a few nasty encounters with thunderstorms and icing are character-building experiences, that "it'll put hairs on your chest and make a man out of you."

Bollocks. Like I said before, that sort of employer attitude in any other industry would have the OH&S police cutting off their balls in no time. But of course there'll be a few macho drivers out there who like to promote the same attitude as well as their employers (thinking it will win them points), and the rest will fall into line without so much as a peep, just to avoid rocking the boat and alienating themselves.

So maybe more of us should be asking CASA: Why are the lives of 170 pax + crew in a 737 worth more than the life of a young kid hauling night freight in a Chieftain or Aero Commander? Why is it mandatory for certain aircraft to be equipped with a serviceable radar and not others?

If the operator won't insist on providing pilots with suitable equipment to make their job safer, who will?