PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 23:57
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cazatou
Shy Torque,
In-Flight Catering were tasked to provide it!!
Please do not tell me that In Flight at Aldergrove could not provide - I did 300+ VIP Flights into/out of Aldergrove so I have a fair idea of the capabilities of In-Flight there; even in the early hours of the morning, as used to happen in the days of a Labour Government with a majority of 1 when all hands were needed in the Voting Lobby.
K52, you clearly have no idea how SH operated at that time. VIP fixed wing flights had, and probably still would have, very little in common with SH operations, especially in that theatre.

For example, my first morning in that theatre was supposed to begin at 0830 with an ops briefing and reading / signing of local documents, a threat briefing and a rules of engagement briefing. As it turned out, I was woken at approximately 0550 by a frantic MT driver who told me he had been ordered to take me to the squadron immediately because I was required to take off at 0630. Myself and the captain were out of our beds and dressed within ten minutes, We were driven at speed to the squadron where we debussed and ran to the armoury in pouring rain. Whilst standing in the pouring rain and the dark I was issued with a 9mm pistol, two magazines and two wooden blocks of ammunition. I also signed for an SA-80, two magazines and 60 rounds. All ammunition loaded by hand into the mags, we clattered back to the squadron. We met the crewman, carrying his 7.62 pintle mounted machine gun and box of ammo and we were given the task brief. As far as I recall we self briefed the met from paper copy - there was certainly NOT a visit to the met office (I too never found where it was). The weather forecast and actual showed very low cloud, drizzle and poor visibility. Having outbriefed and received an auth, we quickly walked through to the safety equipment section next door where we collected our helmets and signed for TSJs and body armour. Having only arrived in theatre the previous afternoon I hadn't yet been measured up so I needed to try a few ceramic chest plates in my TSJ until I found one that felt acceptable and wasn't likely to knock my teeth out in the event of a heavy landing. We walked out to the aircraft and took off just about on time.

Oops, what was I thinking about.....no breakfast........

As I have said before, you seem blinkered by your personal experience of VIP fixed wing operations which are miles apart from SH.