PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Being a bizjet driver
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2000, 00:22
ozone ranger

Thumbs up

With the right boss or company it is the best flying job in the world. That is if you like to travel. If you want a 9 to 5 flying job like flight test, crop dusting etc. then corporate flying is not for you. If need to fly in a structured enviorment with lots of rules and procedures such as government, airline and military then corporate flying is not for you. When I say rules and procedures I mean union rules, company procedures and things like that, not those that pertain to saftey of flight. If you want to make a lot of money and not work much you need to aspire to be a captain for a major U.S. carrier like Delta or United, nothing against them I wish I could be so lucky.

I am very lucky in that I was hired back by a former employer who had been forced to close down his flight department due to financial problems about fifteen years ago. We had kept in touch through the years and when he became able buy a used Sabre 65 I left the government and went back to work for him two years ago. Our companies are doing very well and we are adding a Falcon 900EX as soon as the blasted thing gets built, delivery in the first part of 2002.

My salary, while not in the realm of a Delta 74/77 captain, is very good. I have profit sharing, retirement plan, free health insurance, unlimited expense account, stay in 4/5 star hotels and on long trips my wife comes with us if there is room or airlines out to where we are if there is not enough room on the airplane. If I should lose my medical I have full disability insurance payed for by the company. Or I could stay on as the flight department manager.

Be warned however that my job is not the typical corporater pilot's situation. There are a lot of bad jobs out there so you need to be careful. I am gone on a lot of weekends and holidays, but when there is nothing to do at the airport we don't have to be there and so we are off a lot during the week.

Anyway I have blown my own horn long enough, good luck in your aviation future.