PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Nobody Likes RAF Police
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 15:45
TwoBoats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Why no-body likes the RAF Police

I am new to posting on this site, only my second.
I have read with interest all the comments on this thread, some good some downright bad and not banter in anyway shape or form.
I served the the RAF as a plod and left as a SNCO, now in the civ pol and have been for 13 years and the attitude of some is the same.
"You can't please all of the people all of the time" That's just one phrase that springs to mind. I have read what Wilders85 has said and he has put across a very balanced and, dare I say it, an educated and informed viewpoint.
On the subject of over zealous young A/Cpls, I completed 2 tours at the RAF Police School whilst it was at Newton in the 80's and whilst there dispensed with the services of more than one so called instructor, on the Basic Provost Training Flt, for a number of reasons from being crap themselves through to inappropriate behavious with female trainiee's.
I tried to use the maxim that you treat people the way you expected and deserved to be treated yourself. You can always turn the screw if need be but jump in with both feet and walk away with your head in your hands. As an instructor, as some of you may be yourselves, what happens after training is beyond your control. the scariest thing for me was if A/Cpl XX was a tosser, the first question would be, "Who the hell was your instructor?". Say no more about that.
Yes there are good and bad, but the management structure must take some responsibility. I can remember saying to my Boss, a young inexperiened, newly trained and commisioned Fg Off, (ex JT who wanted to get his own back), that it was my responsibility to guide and advise junior officers in the ways, traditions and ethics of the service. The door shut and the guidance was administered. To his credit he was honest enough to accept it. The section went from strength to strength as did our standing on the unit.
Yes there are too many RAFP who waltz around as if they are civ pol, I say come and do it and me a break please. Come and deal with all the crap and s**t we have to put up with, I wish I was still back - barrier up, barrier down.
It's nice to think you keep the unit safe and all those people sleeping in their beds and to an extent the RAFP do that, deterrent value alone, but lets not get carried away. The sole purpose of the RAF is to fly aircraft in time of war, keep that in your mind also, but please those of you who are aircrew and aircraft technicians, drop the prima donna attitude I remember, maybe that way everyone might get on.
By the way the banter is great, love it, sadly it is disappearing from the civ pol too....
Hope this reply makes sense and being a thick plod I have got my thoughts across, if not tough. On another subject we all have stories to relate - me included .....
TwoBoats stands back and waits for incoming ... stab vest on, CS spray loaded, kwickuffs at the ready, PR24 drawn and ready for super strike ...