PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF SAR to deploy to Afghanistan
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 07:21
Crabette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

“May we suggest rounding up all the ex-servicemen who have nothing better to do than slag off a 24-7 operational service, give them an unsuitable aircraft and no training and send them off to help out in Afghanistan - it's bound to save the taxpayer a few quid”.
Come on Flt Lt X RAF Chivenor ,you contradict yourself 24-7 operational service?? How can it be when it is always falling over with unserviceable cabs. The Aircraft is capable enough to do the job, not ideal but the help would be welcome I’m sure by the troops and stretched SH. Perhaps civilian maintenance would help? Why perchance should you ‘un-train’ all the ex-servicemen (who probably taught you how to do the job anyway) and send them? You are the current ‘master’ of the trade and it seems only RAF NVG crews are able to do the job…so front up and put yourself up for the task. I believe the plan to ‘privatise’ the SAR UK is the way we will save the taxpayer a lot of money, removing the overburden of the current military service. At least the typhoon and Flynx crews will leave the country and do what is asked of them. Clutching at survival, the RAF SAR element seems determined to put ‘lives’ at risk by ‘controlling’ current missions with a RAF SAR bias…..sending every yellow cab it can to an incident once ‘serviceable’ (the recent glider in Scotland??? I’m surprised the valley cab wasn’t up there on a training mission!). A serviceable MCA aircraft or RN cab perhaps would have been prudent??…. But with the media coup all important this will be the state of play until RCC really do allocate tasking on the best unit able respond and not the best for the RAF!