PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forget legal, how about moral?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2006, 03:46
M.25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread reminds me of a time when I worked for one of ‘those’ bosses. One time I decided to cancel a fairly lucrative charted due weather. When I broke the news to the boss I thought that he was going to blow a valve, and that my employment was going to at least be very miserable from thereon in. Presenting TAF’s and ARFOR’s as evidence didn’t help my case one little bit - “They’re always wrong anyway” he would argue. I never heard the end of it, but I always stood my ground on the issue.
To my amazement, on my last day with the company the boss approached me and shook my hand. He praised me highly for standing my ground on the issue and confessed that I was one of the very few pilots who had ever worked for him that allowed him to sleep whilst I was on a job. I had actually gained a huge amount of trust and respect.
We have to fly most days of the week, most weeks of the year, possibly for the rest of our lives. You might get away with taking an unnecessary risk once, twice or even a thousand times….but one day you will come unstuck….and for what?!