PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OAT (Oxford) - the thread, reborn (Part XXVII)!
Old 13th Jul 2006, 22:53
Permafrost_ATPL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing I would warn people about is doing Modular at OAT if you're not prepared to work very hard to get the first time passes at everything. They DO put forward some modular students to airlines, but it's not many of them and they all have near perfect CVs (as opposed to APP with OK CVs).

You could think that at the end of the day, even if OAT don't put you forward to airlines, you still have the advantage of the OAT name on your CV. Not so. Many airlines, FlyBe being one I know for fact, will not consider OAT graduates who are not recommended by OAT. So for the same CV, as far as grades/passes are concerned, you are better off NOT having done your flying at OAT if you don't have a recommendation from them.

Some might think this is fair enough, i.e. why should an airline give you an interview if OAT don't recommend you (i.e. you must be crap). But unless, like I said above, you have the PERFECT CV and have a fairly brown nose, you just won't be recommended (as modular). This is something to seriously think about since it's going to cost you a lot more to do modular at OAT.

On a slightly different topic, I'd like to point out that when trying to calculate how much flight school and possibly a TR will cost you (if you get a job offer where you have to pay for the TR - please DO NOT pay for a TR unless there is a job at the end of it), you must think about how much it will cost you NOT to be flying jets for a few years. Add an instructor rating, earning very little for a year or two, earning not so much on a turbo-prop for another couple of years, etc. And compare to paying 20k for a rating and earning jet salary for all those years... Not so simple, huh?

I am NOT saying taking a job where you have to pay for a TR is the only way to go. Far from it. A great deal of fun and experience is to be gained from instructing, t-prop, etc. Probably makes you a better pilot. But if you're just looking at numbers, do the maths properly!

Cheers,

P