PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RBBB & Bicuspid Aortic
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2006, 13:36
rhovsquared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some folks have a biscuspid aortic

RBBB: this is not a disease and can be appreciated in a normal individual
in order to make this understandable I hvae to first explain the QRS axis

QRS axis is determined by looking at leads I and aVF (and sometines II)
lead I being an arm lead; lead aVF being an augmented femoral lead

right axis deviation (RAD) is shown when the lead I QRS point up and when aVF points down; extreme RAD is when leads I II and aVF all have a downward pointing QRS:

RAD could be indicative of right venetricular hypertrophy[enlarged right heart, on an posterior anterior and later chest X-rays] (RVH) or a RBBB. but if you had Eisenmnger's shunt I Don't think you'd have passed a Class III.

RBBB on an EKG appears (for those who understand, it is hard to explain in English an RSR' pattern instead of a normal QRS pattern leading to a somewhat Biphasic appearance in chest leads V1 and V6 and arm lead I.

what does that mean ?

I) may be present in a normal person.

II) may be associated with diseases affecting the 'right heart' or pulmonary circulation.
1. pulmonary hypertension, central venous pressure monitoring, but
there is usually a plethera of symptomology.
2. ischemia, can be ruled out with absence of signs (angina) or presence of cardiac enzymes- and echocardiography
3. atrial septal defect, and doppler studies should get rid of that one.
4. or if of recent occurance with pulmonary embolism (usually accompanied by shortness of breath (dypsnea). then you'll get a V/Q scan.

I wrote earlier that I'll start a thread on "EKG for pilots", but due to my own current cervical disc problems (which leaves me as a non-flying pilot for now ) I've been very busy with doctors and such myself but i haven't forgotten- admitedly it will include plentt of cutting and pasting from my original posts.

basic point is IN THE ABSENCE OF SYPTOMOLOGY EKG, MUST BE USED VERY JUDICIOUSLY AND CARDIAC ANOMALIES APPEAR ON MOST PERSONS EKG [ IF THEY WERE TO BE CONTINOUSLY RECORDED BY A 12 LEAD] BUT THE TOPIC IS VERY VERY COMPLEX, DON'T GET TOO TOO BOGGED DOWN ABOUT THEM -with the exception of asystole

rhovsquared

Last edited by rhovsquared; 13th Jul 2006 at 16:06.