PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shortage of ATCs in SA
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2006, 12:16
africanborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortage of ATCs in SA

Without trying to hide behind any bushes I am a current affairs television producer in South Africa looking into a story on ATCs and the severe shortage in SA, particularly Joburg. I'm looking for some honest, no holds barred opinions from current ATCs in SA and those who have left in the last few years to continue in other countries, like Dubai or Abu Dabi and the likes, or elsewhere.

Why? Whats so bad about the problem in SA? I'm aware there is about a 15-20% staff shortage worldwide but is there anything unique about the situation in SA? Would you ever head back there?

But the biggest question is 'How does the lack of staff affect the quality of the work?' More incidents? Excessive delays because of lack of sectors? Are there genuine safety concerns? You already work in a highly stressful job, are you riding on the edge of breakdown because of this shortage? Is it all just in a days work, nothing to worry about?

Please tell me how you feel and give me a perspective of what the realities are...