PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resigned from BA to fly the BBJ !!!
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2000, 08:57
Bobby Johnson

Talking

Thanks for the comments guys, Ive just finished my last trip, up at 4:00 return from FCO to LGW then GOA and back. It does seem strange that I am going to hand back my 'Platinum stripes'and my ID Card that seems to get me in a lot of places.

To answer a few of your questions.

JJFlyer - I tried to get a year off to go and do this however BA do make out they are considerate to this sort of request and have done this before, however I was told that they could not spare a Captain for that legngth of time. I knew that I would regret it forever if I did not do it, so I resigned. Whilst I do not have anything against BA and would have liked to stay I certainly would not have given my left nut for them!

Hi Spooky,

Your comments are very valid, I am 39 and it is not a mid life crisis, it is just that I have always wanted to do this but never had the experience to get a really good job in the corporate world. I have had many offers over the years but have never found one that pays enough and suits the lifestyle that I like. Now I have so I just did it. With regard to pensions etc. thats all covered, once again I would not have done it otherwise.
With regard to your comment of security, it is a common misconception that you have a job with BA for life. That is just not true, people who work for BA like to think that and portray that to others, however they all know that is not the case. You spend most of your time looking over your shoulder wondering when you next 'coffee/tea and no buscuits' interview is.

I havent started yet, when I do I will let you all know how it is going. I look at it as a Big Adventure and a fantastic opportunity.

Best Regards

BJ