PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2006, 10:14
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Sunk

While I understand where you’re coming from, the Sea King AEW Mk2 was by no means a bodge job – what was a bodge was the political decision in preceding decades to ditch an AEW capability in the first place. The conversion of ASW Mk2s to AEWs was a prime example of what can be done quickly and efficiently by a very small team with some gumption and ingenuity about them. I agree the ASaC Mk7 is highly capable. It is, in fact, a good example of what DPA now call “incremental acquisition” which, like most “initiatives”, is long standing best practice anyway (although implemented by very few!).

The Mk2 was incrementally upgraded throughout the 80s and early 90s, a process which was frozen when it became apparent the RN had successfully argued for a properly funded upgrade. (Radar, Comms, IFF, JTIDS, IN/GPS and much more you never hear mentioned. In every aspect it was first of type and led the way). The pity, in my opinion, was that the funding dictated retention of the Sea King when, for example, the Merlin option was available. Not because the Sea King is incapable (it fully meets the time on task and ceiling requirements you mention) and is, in many ways, simply a taxi for the mission system; but because the AEW fleet is a mixed bag (sic) of Mks 1, 2 , 5 and 6, some dating to 1969. Others were built in the late 80s. When the Mk2 cabs (tail numbers) were chosen for conversion in 82, I don’t think anyone envisaged a 30+ year life. Still, there are very few projects to which money is no object – I can think of only one I've ever managed – and what the RN have got is the best in the world given the political constraints.