PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silk Air MI 185 - Court commences in Singapore
Old 25th Jul 2001, 14:24
Tripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crockett,
I don't know if you will get any justice from the court case, but the proceedings will throw light on the charade in Singapore.
Capt.Ganapathy and Capt.Leong may consider all the actions of Tsu Way Ming as just minor errors of judgement. But, any pilot worth his salt might think otherwise.
Just look at what Tsu had accomplished in the 9 months preceeding the crash.
1.He does "S" turns to lose height to correct the approach into Manado. Except that , his co-pilot had to slam the thrust levers forward when the Go Around was initiated with just "will power"!! by the captain. The aircraft was around 700 feet AGL overthreshold. I wonder who considers this just a minor error!!
2.In May 1997, Tsu takes an aircraft out without the Parking Brake serviceable. He has just a Second Officer trainee on the right hand seat. Tsu's total experience as an airline captain is hardly 500 hours. Is that safe?
3.In June 1997 he pulls out the CVR on a scheduled flight. This is not just a minor error!!
4.In November 1997, Tsu experiences power loss on one of the engines, while setting take-off thrust. The company SOP specifies " SET TAKE OFF THRUST BY 60 KTS". He firewalls the engine and does not get take off thrust. He returns back after take-off and makes an overweight landing. All these errors are not reported.

Now we have the two management pilots stating that "though he scared co-pilots, pulled out CVR CBs, took out an aircraft which was unsafe, firewalls engines and does overweight landings", he is a very good and safe pilot. After all, he is supposed to have transferred all the passengers on his flight to Kunming, to other flights!!
I hope the captain of SQ 006 realises his major mistake. He didn't transfer the surviving passengers to other flights!!!!!

web page