PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Peak Oil
Thread: Peak Oil
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2006, 03:32
prospector

Interesting link, would not care to have some one like Joe Vialls on my side tho, some one who can claim 9/11 was caused by "planes electronically hi-jacked from the ground", or claims that vitamin B17 found in apricot stones or cassava roots cures cancer tumours. I think on balance the veracity of the pro oil peak advocates wins in my book.

In order to back the claim of abiotic outgassing, proponents must look to the mid ocean ridges, where new ocean floor basalt is created through the upwelling of the mantle. Sampling has been done along the mid ocean ridges, and while the results do suggest the production of methane and equally simple hydrocarbons from the mantle, the amount is negligible.15 More methane is produced annually from cow farts than from outgassing at the mid ocean ridges.

Another expert opinion??

Conclusion
Other questionable fields could be surveyed here, but for considerations of length. Suffice it to say that a sound argument for organic origin can be built for all other examples. The fields surveyed here constitute the core examples repeatedly adduced by abiotic adherents. And we have found ample evidence that none of these plays are of abiotic origin. As for volcanic outgassing, that too is explained by organic chemistry in conjunction with plate tectonics. The abiotic hypothesis remains just that, an hypothesis which has failed in prediction and so cannot be elevated to a theory. It is completely ignored by the oil industry worldwide, and even within Russia. And that is the final testament to its failure.

Last edited by prospector; 13th Jul 2006 at 04:22.