PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you get to that right hand seat?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2006, 16:58
mightymouse111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly do not think it is going to be easy, getting your first job will prove the most difficult thing you have done to date. From my experiences there are many ways to get into the right hand seat and luck/right time right place played a major part in my own.

Most people I know got jobs by either being recommended by one of the larger flying schools, knowing someone in an airline (this is where networking is helpful and I accept that you need that first connection, but you need to work at this), paying for a type rating, paying for a TR and hours on type, working as an instructor (not for too long as airlines tend not to like instructors with loads of hours) and finally persistance and knowing whats going on, who to ring and when.

Basically there are many routes into the business, every pilot will have a different story of how they got that first step on the ladder, the trick is to give yourself the best chance, by undergoing the best training etc and trying not to give them a reason to put your cv in the 'to bin' pile. All the airlines tend to look for different qualities, i.e some prefer Oxford graduates, some prefer instructors, some only integrated etc etc.Whatever you do you need to stand out from every other CV that gets sent there, those that have the ability to do this have a better chance of a job!

Finally once you have that foot in the door (interview etc) make sure that you don't blow it! (not a nice feeling!)

Good luck, you will need it (but worthwhile).