PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Officer
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2006, 15:59
Bluntend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice would be to try and get hold of the Engineer Branch Yearbook 2006 - your AFCO should be able to provide you with a copy. Be aware that the role of an Engo has changed a lot in recent years. In the 21st Century RAF second line has all but gone and with it some pretty decent opportunities for Flt Cdr tours (CE and AS). I am sure it has been said by previous posters on this thread that you will learn more in your first 6 months as a Flt Cdr than you could ever learn at Cranwell. IOT lays the foundation stones for your career, how you build on them depends on the relationships you build with your subordinates, peers and superiors and of course your actual skill. I doubt your degree will assist you in any way aside from opening the door to you.
You should also be aware that because second line jobs are now few and far between, you may well find yourself in a staff tour at the DPA, DLO or Cmd. If you enjoy contract monitoring, working with industry and above all making the tea, you shouldn't have any problems at all. If, however, you want a bit of excitment from your career you will need to be at first line and you will need to compete with many others who want the same. This goes for CE and AS jobs alike. As the RAF draws down in numbers so too do many of the truelly rewarding jobs - be prepared to fight for the job you want or be prepared to be disapointed.
Finally, be wary of what you are offered in terms of a commission. There is no guarentee that a Short Service Commission will automatically lead on to a full PC. Many EngOs, despite being fine Flt Cdrs and having good write ups have found the recent manpower reductions to be brutal, indiscriminate and ultimately, for those who really wanted to stay in, a crushing disapointment.
If the above hasn't put you off, my advice is to go for it! In no other industry will you have such levels of responsibility delegated to you so early in your career.
Oh and one last thing, when a pilot says that you should have tried harder at school - then you could be a pilot too, just remember that EngOs need a degree to do their job. Pilots don't.