PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emerald and the CAA
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2006, 08:48
MOB P45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink -- --- -... . --. --- .. ... - --- -... .-.. .- -- .

Originally Posted by Bedlamair
At that time the much villified MOB was, certainly, no autocrat and rarely did anything entailing ac usage without asking the opinion of a management pilot. If things changed so dramatically thereafter maybe the change was induced from above.. who knows.
Suffice to say, as with most airlines, it was always staffed with guys trying to be as professional and proficient as possible no matter what.

I joined just as DW (Chief Pilot) was retiring. He followed BK in that role, i believe. Both excellent in their job and at keeping that vital distance between the crew/aircraft and MOB. The big change, in my opinion, was the appointment of a succession of weak individuals to various Management Pilot roles. This enabled MOB to interfere with crew/aircraft decisions. In turn we then saw safety margins eroded and able post holders being ousted - it became a vicious circle. Once established as the invisible but effective Chief Pilot, MOB would occasionally appoint an able management pilot, but each of those quickly came to realise that their opinion was not required - don't try to interfere but just sit quietly and take the money. From years ago the decline in safety and the Company's fortune was obvious to all, except MOB, and i suppose AJ.
I wholly agree with your assessment of the Crews and most of the Ops/Engineers/Rampies as always trying to do the most professional job with the resources available. Although as time went on most of those who stayed were, i think, forced to do things they would never have done a few years earlier under the old regime.