PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - merry christmas: the Cx interview notes are back
Old 12th Jul 2006, 08:31
Crossbleed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CX DEFO

Format of the 1st stage DEFO and notes;
Intial quiz :30 questions in 30 mins covering Met,Aerodynamics/Systems
I finished this in around 15mins but found 3 or 4 rather tricky. Plenty of time to go back over them.
Eg’s: If cloud base is thickening and lowering it indicates; Cold Front / Warm Front / Orographic Cloud
What is not an input to the ADC? Mach No. / air temp / pitot pressure
A high Aspect ratio wing compared to a low ratio one will; Produce less induced drag / produce more lift / Allow higher speed flight
On a wet runway, the most effective initial braking comes from; Brakes & Spoilers / Spoilers and Rev. Thrust / Brakes and Rev. Thrust.
What type of flap directs high pressure flow over upper surface of flap to energise the boundary layer? Split / Slotted / slat
Clearway may be include in ASDA; Always / If temp is less than 30 deg.C / Never
Which control surface most counteracts the Dutch-Roll tendancy Aileron / Rudder / Flaps
What type of aileron reduces adverse yaw; Counterbalanced / Frise / Symmetrical
Beginning at stall speed and increasing to max. speed, what happens to total drag; Decreases / decreases then increases / increases
LRC is; same as max range / faster than max range / same as max endurance
Then into interview with two senior guys, one asked all the personal questions and the other stuck to systems and running various scenarios. Perfect gentlemen and made you feel at ease and relaxed.
Firstly came the personals; Have you been to HK, Did you like it, what specifally appealed to you.
Wife / Partner, what to they think of HK,
What would they say your 2 weakest traits are,
Why CX, applications with other airlines, What 2 things will you bring to CX as a pilot,
Went through my work history and general Q’s about why I left previous employers,
If you had your time again what would you do differently (in Aviation).
What were some of the best jobs you’ve had, did you ever hold an instructor rating, why did you not keep it current( I had an old GradeIII rating).
Chatted about where I did my training, why I did it in that city, why that school etc…
What was your first job, best job/ worst job.
Then into the technical questions. There were 3 models on the table. A333 / A343 / B744 pax.
Initially had to identify them and then straight onto the 74. General description of the Hyd. Systems, how many, how are they powered. What produdes the largest output Pneumatics or Elecs,Why are the 1 & 4 systems air driven and 3 & 4 Elec (Demand pumps)
What runs which groups of gear, flap, surfaces etc..
Senario was eng 1 fire. Ran through the recall items and then just chatted about things you’re thinking about with Sys 1 knocked out, given that we took off with an U/S demand pump on sys 1.
Why is there a tank in the Stab, why would you want to put it there.
This led into a general discussion on W&B, I said the aircraft is nose heavy at high weights etc. How the CG has to be Fwd of CP and why, which led back to the Stab tank and having fuel there would assist rotation at high-weights etc. and why the tail produces down-force
What number of 74 freighters do we have, what types, what power plants, why are there different engines through the fleet.
I found it tricky to get the engine details so whaffled on a bit here about some of them being leased or came equipped that way from previous owner.
What is EPR and how and where is it measured? I got myself tangled up a little here with by-pass ratios but talked myself in a loop and with a bit of prompting got back on track.
Which is a better method of measuring engine thrust EPR or N1? Why?
That’s as much as I can remember now, will add more as it comes into head.
The whole process was about 1hr 15 mins.
They asked me if I had any questions and pointed out that the positions they were interviewing for are the Syd and Mel bases. Said to call the recruiting people in HK in 10 days time to see whether I was successful.