PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Nobody Likes RAF Police
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 23:51
Wilders85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I empathise completely with your sentiments. During my time I have witnessed and unfortunately participated in some of the antics described. But, in some defence of their position, the procedures taught to the younger elements of the RAFP, and I am going back to the 70’s and 80’s, were standard operating procedures taught at the Police School. So as you will appreciate, any young LAC/SAC ACPL aged 17 to 20 would not have the common sense and general life and job experience to police a military establishment.

On the one hand the MOD encourages their employees to be aggressive, teaches them to inflict damage on others and yet expects them to be good little boys and girls after a Friday night in the Malcolm Club/Sgts Mess/Officers Mess after several “Dry” months in theatre. The novices in the trade (And novice could mean RAFP with several years service stood on the gate at Brampton or other similar places) don’t stand a chance in dealing with these situations. That requires common sense, logic, empathy, a big slice of turning a blind eye (so you are not scoring brownie points off others) and an understanding of what fellow RAF have been tasked to do. This is not just a RAF problem. Ask any civil police or the RMP. Imagine being at Aldershot or Colchester when the Para’s return. It is absolute mayhem yet few squaddies end up in front of the bench. The local cops know the problems and react accordingly. The only ones that face the wrath of S69 AFA or AA were those that cannot be persuaded to go home quietly and rest or get lively even in the back of a blue light taxi (By the way I was a fully paid up member of the taxi drivers association at Wilders).

What I am trying to say is that the RAFP of the 70’s and 80’s did have problems. They were at times autocratic and inflexible. However, you cannot blame the young lads on the gate. They were doing what they were told. The people you have to challenge are the shift Sgts, FS and the Oi/c Police. After all they were the Managers of the Section. Unfortunately the Managers were themselves of a bygone age. At that time it was not unknown to take 15 to 20 years to make Sgt. When I got my third after 8 years I was ridiculed by many of the old guard.

Midsomerjambo raises a valid point about investigation techniques. In my days there was paranoia about sexuality. And to my shame I have been involved in such investigations and subsequent prosecutions. All I will say is that the regulation at the time required this investigation although the techniques used were dubious. The SIB were trained in exactly the same techniques as the Civilian CID. Things changed dramatically in 1985 with the introduction of PACE. (Thumb screws withdrawn), and the introduction of a more humane treatment of accused.

Pompeysailor identifies other issues, not just with the RAFP but I assume with the Navy Regs. Nothing you have posted surprises me. I hope that the introduction of the tri service police rectifies these issues but I am not optimistic.

Well I have certainly opened myself up for assassination in this post. So fill your boots.

I look forward to your opinions

Regards to all