PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIS Consultation Meeting 8 Aug
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 19:37
MikeJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Cross,
I'm delighted you are taking this up for us all. Never mind the inevitable irrelevent comments from several on Pprune! You have had some very sensible comments from many.

However, I've been following this thread, and to me, there's a bit of 'Emporer's clothes' about it. Since I am planning to fly Fairoaks to Rochester tomorrow through the dreaded LHR LGW gap, I thought I would do a test.

A narrow route briefing gave me 16 entries, but only 3 could possibly be relevent.
Among many I got: UHF change for the Lichfield corridor, cancellation of Coltishall MATZ, Newcastle airspace changes, some telephone no. changes, a Met research flight whose eastern extremity was 1 deg W, but was phenominally long in lists of Lat/Long to search to find this out. Quite apart from the helium balloon up to 500' in Regents Park.

Why does a pilot need to know changes to SSR code allocation? One can only squawk as directed.

I have heard it said that in only 50% of flights by private owners have any Notams been checked, and no wonder!

I do know that the programming of sensible filtering to eliminate unneeded stuff is very difficult, and therefore expensive. But I'll just go back to using the simple NotamPlot, free of all charge (so I'm not promoting a commercial service on Pprune) which gives me all I want so simply.

Does it not meet my legal requirements to obtain relevent info before flight?

I think that the current system is an expected result of it having been developed without any consultation on the needs of the private owner.

Very best support for you in your work on this,
MikeJ