PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 18:44
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an accident in which many fine people lost their lives. It does no justice to the memory of any of them to see abuse, invective and accusations hurled backwards and forwards. I ask that we heave this thread back on topic. It is so sad to see it drag interminably on in the same ruts, with no real progress.

If I understand Brian Dixon correctly (and apologies Brian if I do not) he is not INSISTING that the pilots were not negligent. He is not saying he has incontrovertable proof of this.

The whole point of this thread WAS to try and establish whether there were unarguable grounds to support a finding of gross negligence from the evidence available. That was the requirement for such a finding to be made by a BOI. If there were not, then the campaign asked for the findings to be overturned. This thread has fruitlessly strayed a long way from that objective.

What we know is that the pilots, for some UNKNOWN reason, turned slightly away from their intended track, climbing, and impacted with a hill in cloud. All we have so far is arguments about speeds/visibilty/fitness for flight/strange avionics and other things, but no EVIDENCE. Rather than battle backwards and forwards about breakfasts, avionic fits, duty times, serviceability etc, hurling insults about, would it not be better to ask all those who are arguing that the crew were GROSSLY negligent to post here the exact reasons why they KNOW this - ie what is your actual evidence of negligence? This after all is what Brian's campaign is all about. Not what enables you to surmise that they were grossly negligent, or what you THINK they were doing, but what are your hard facts? The posts can and should be short and precise. State what your facts are and where they come from. I recommend considering placing all those 'combatants' who do not post in this way on your 'ignore' list, and then with a slimmed down view we can perhaps focus on trying to get the matter properly reviewed rather than trying to get the cause of the accident established on PPRune - which is an unlikely prospect.