PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Harrier - Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 18:13
Chateau Ver de Fleur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless,

Having thoroughly enjoyed these posts for years, you are the first to actually prompt me to get off my a*se and start typing! Before I get reminded that this is a 'rumour' network and get banter for biting (as I have seen many others hilariously do over the years), I confess to being a little concerned that you actually believe the cr*p you're coming out with.

Quote -

"The Harrier is very limited in the mission it can accomplish when compared to other Attack Aircraft such as the Tornado, A-10, F-16,F-15E, A-6, F/A 18. With JDAM we even can include the B-1, B-2, and B-52 as well."

I would have thought that the only RAF jet to offer mixed loads, digital JRP, and integrated DAS in one, the Harrier would be ideally suited? How do you consider JDAM to be a better alternative to a combined GPS/Laser EPWII? My experience of JDAM in that theatre was of the majority being sprayed somewhere around the tgt due to dodgy GPS coords. At least the EPWIIs went where the TIALD was pointing.

Quote -

"The Harrier had a loss rate to Manpads/Sam's double that of other similar aircraft during the Gulf Wars."

Don't remember losing any of ours.

Quote -

"Seems Haj flights operate out of there too....10,500 foot paved runway....real Harrier turf!"

Didn't stop a number of them running off the end/side with shredded tyres.

Seeing as I'm quoting, here's one from a US Infantry Staff Sgt in a comms relay back to his operating base after snatching 12 Taliban from a house downtown

".....Yeah, we got the dudes. Looking a bit hot at one point - getting a lot of resistance before we went in. Just as we kicked the f**king door down, the Harriers came right down the f**cking high street - bang on time!"

".....No way!"

".....Those guys fly low man, I mean really low!......Give me a choice between an A-10 and a Harrier, I'll take the Harrier every time!"

I've known US SF teams who've got back into camp after 2-3 weeks out on patrol (having lost up to 3 of their team) go straight to Ops to thank the crews before they even go back to their accom.

Is the Harrier worth it? Ask them.