PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASPIRIN - For and Against
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 17:04
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASPIRIN - For and Against

I've always been super cynical of quackery, snake oil merchants, and doctors peddling their pet theories, but my personal doctor has suggested the daily use of 80 mg of Aspirin as a preventative measure, the benefits alluded to being -

(1) Reduced / Eliminated / Delayed onset of thrombosis,
(2) Reduced / Eliminated / Delayed onset of blood clot formation, with obvious implications for DVT and Stroke,
(3) Reduced / Eliminated / Delayed onset of Cancer risk, as Aspirin is (he claims) an Anti-Oxidant,
(4) Reduced / Eliminated / Delayed onset of Erectile Dysfunction (in men obviously).

Food for thought. Items (1) and (2) are well accepted in the medical community, but the latter two items come as a complete surprise to me, and, if true, make the regular use of Aspirin as a preventative measure, a worth-while activity.

I've followed his advice, but haven't noticed any change over 3 to 4 months, but this is not surprising as I (touch wood) suffered none of the problems alluded to anyway. He is a Professor of Internal Medicine at a university hospital (his stature lends some weight to my being convinced), but my regular doctor, who is also my Aviation Medical Examiner, says that "the jury is still out" on the matter, but says that there's no harm in continuing the therapy in any case.

So, what is the truth? I have no digestive problems after 3 to 4 months, and whilst bleeding is slightly slower to clot, is not a problem at all.

Regards,

Old Smokey