PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Baggage Allowance Cuts
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 16:39
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by manintheback
One suspects that anyone turning up on the old conditions will be allowed through to prevent the actual breach occuring, most people however (including myself) wont take the chance.

Ultimately - really stupid. Why open yourself up to such bad publicity for what must be very limited numbers and effectively near to nil cost for those with pre-existing bookings?
I agree.

BA may have been advised that, even if it charges for those who booked before the change and who would have been within the limit but are now over, their liability is limited to ... the amount of the excess charged. That, after all, is the extent of the loss that you've incurred through the breach.

BA may also have been advised that the announcement of a change in the limits may amount to an anticipatory declaration that it will breach the contract, but not one that entitles the passenger to terminate the contract and get a refund.

I can see how this might be absolutely correct legal advice. It may be legal, but it isn't fair play. It's not what BA ought to be known for.

But waiting for the consequences is a bit like watching a train crash. You know the accident is going to happen, you know that it's going to be messy, and you just can't help but watch it happen.

Madness. Is this another consequence of the pursuit, at any price, of the totally arbitrary 10% margin figure?