PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Think I learnt about flying today...
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 15:35
SAR Bloke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A downdraught can easily throw you into the ground. It is true that one of the escape methods for downdraughting is to head to lower, flatter, ground as the air will usually (but not always) become more laminar and may enable you to climb out of trouble. Turbulent air can do funny things and you can never rely on it.

Flying next to a mountain you can easily be into wind or downwind. Katabatic and anabatic winds flow up and down the mountain and, if the pressure gradient wind is perpendicular to the mountain you would be in either updraughting or downdraughting air depending on whether you are on the windward or lee side of the mountain. You can be into wind or downwind in updraughting or downdraughting air and vice versa. If the pressure gradient wind is parallel to the mountain then you would be predominately into wind or downwind.

As to having no mountains in the UK, I can guarantee that they are big enough and dangerous enough to catch out even the best pilots.

Mountain flying (including mountain weather and mountain winds) is a very complex and demanding subject. I would advise anyone contemplating it to read up on the subject first. If going mountain flying in winds greater than about 10-15kts then you may want to think about getting some advanced instruction in mountain techniques.

Goatwacker: Kudos to you for sharing your experience and glad to hear all ended well.

Last edited by SAR Bloke; 11th Jul 2006 at 15:47.