PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Think I learnt about flying today...
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 14:41
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some people like to fly without GPS, some people like to look out the window, some people like to use a map occasionally.

There are times when the GPS comments get really tiresome Peter - give it a break PLEASE!
I've just realised Chilli is absolutely right. In a way it's ridiculous to set yourself up like an airliner - we're mostly PPLs for god's sake, let's have a bit of fun.
Oh come on guys. IO540 never said that coodem (or anyone else) should always fly with a gps. He simply, and correctly pointed out, that turning it on after an inadvertant entry into IMC at low level was far far too late.

Does any seriously think that a VFR only pilot (and I'm assuming coodem is from his post) who has entered cloud at low level should be turning around looking for his gps on the back seat, then trying to fiddle around with it?

If he had it with him and turned on before the flight then it could be a big safety aid in the situation described.

If you carry a gps for the purpose of helping you out in an emergency aid then have it set up so that it can aid you if that emergency comes along. We all make sure that we wear our life jackets, and have the life raft close to hand when flying single engine cross water don't we? It's ready to go if needed.

If you enter cloud low level, VFR only, and the gps is in your flight bag, then I think you've already missed the boat as far as GPS goes. Forget about it, fly the airplane and use whatever you have to hand. That maybe a predetermined safety altitude, and tuned in vor, or simply the radio to call a radar unit for help. Trying to find and turn on a gps at this point is only going to disorient you.

If you carry equipment for an emergency then have it set up. If you don't, then don't distract yourself with it in the emergency.

dp