PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GOM Gossip
Thread: GOM Gossip
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2006, 11:39
BaronG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flingwing207
<snip>
So it would be entirely possible for ERA or PHI to bring qualified foriegn nationals in to fly the aircraft, it wouldn't be surprising to find the process has already been started.
As a couple of others mentioned, in principle this is possible, however the practicalities make it very difficult (particularly given the limited availability of H-1 visas).

One other thing to remember is that the GoM companies (like everyone else) lack experienced pilots. If they're going to get Visas, they want guys with 1500+ hours, some offshore, IR etc etc. The thing is, people with that level of experience are presumably already working (or at least able to work) where they are now - e.g. a JAA ATP is presumably already able to get/has work in Europe.

So, while the GoM companies might look into Visas, the odds are they'll get very few experienced guys, and a lot of low hours guys (which they can get in the USA).

@ rumline

If your wife can get a Visa, then you should be able to get one off the back of hers without your background being relevant. Of course, that assumes you'd want to do that.

@ Murdock

The j-1 time change is just a rumour as far as I'm aware - do you have some more information on that?

@ R1Tamer

Re: PHI and low hour guys applying: The thing is from the outsiders perspective, when you get your commerical ticket, you should be good to do commerical jobs. I guess the government sees it the same way - hour/experience requirements aren't something they care about.

I suppose the implication is PHI should pull their fingers out and take low hour guys through some kind of training rather than just hire foreigners. I think that would be a welcome change for everyone but based on experience, highly unlikely