PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bank Associated Travel Insurance-Beware!!
Old 11th Jul 2006, 07:53
TG345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slim_slag
Skyfish and TG345.
You both say Amex Platinum 'pays out', the implication being that they are better than the rest.
How often have you made travel claims on Amex Platinum, how many were paid out, how many refused. How often have you made claims on non Amex Platinum travel policies, how often were they paid out, how often were they refused? Just trying to get an idea of the numerical basis for your claims.
Well, I've held the card for 14 years. In that time I have made I think five claims, so I haven't exactly abused it. The claims have all (as far as I can remember) been for lost/delayed baggage. Each claim around 150/200 GBP. Always paid out promptly, never quibbled.

As regards other insurers, I did have one claim on a "bucket and spade" package holiday many, many years ago under a policy sold by a travel agent. Bad value in terms of cost, and almost worthless in terms of cover provided.

My company also has to deal with many auto and injury insurance claims in the course of our business. As I said in my earlier post, most insurers that we deal with are only interested in customer service when selling to you or collecting premiums from you. When a claim is made the barriers go up pretty quickly. We often have to persue them through the courts to get satisfaction.

As you may have gathered by now, I do have a bit of a downer on insurance companies. Whilst I accept entirely that they need to make profits, as do we all, the way they conduct themselves leaves an awful lot to be desired IMO.

Amex however, I have nothing but praise for.