PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few questions for RN members
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 20:38
PompeySailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RByrne
How much weight does a good reference from your URNU CO carry at AIB?

Do you get hayfever at sea?

Any advice on extra-curricular activities to help achive my dream to FLYNavy? Currently play a couple of team sports and volounteer once a week as a football coach- even to the extent that i've gained coaching qualifications.

Thanks for any help!

Oh and a final question, what is recruitment like at the moment- are there many spaces? Ive been searching the forum and from the sounds of posts 18-24 months ago, that seemed to be a very favourable time to be applying.
Depends on the URNU CO. I would hardly expect to see a poor reference from an URNU CO, but a good reference from a respected CO would carry some weight, whereas a good reference from a CO borne for sport only would not help too much. The AIB depends greatly on your performance whilst there rather on the references you provide.

Hayfever at sea? Not as far as I am aware. When the WAFUs are determined to call a "flight deck" an "airfield", then I suppose there may be a slight risk from the delicate flowers that reside in the crew room.

Additional qualifications - you need to be a well-rounded individual. Having lots of healthy interests will stand you in good stead, especially when they involve taking charge of people or accepting a level of responsibility. Sailing qualifications, even in the age of steam, gas and molecules are regarded as useful.

Recruiting is in a permanent state of flux. Just do it.