PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A few questions for RN members
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 19:45
proudfishead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A recommend from an URNU CO carries a fair weight with the AIB. However, it really serves as polish on top of a candidates performance and will not get you in if you fail to impress the board at least a small amount. That said, no-one that I ever gave a strong recommend to was ever failed at AIB.

In terms of the RN's recruitment - it varies from branch to branch. If you are thinking of joining as aircrew (which would be logical since you have posted on the military aircrew section of pprune) then yes, we are actively recruiting. We are not however, short of applicants.

The RN's aptitude score requirements are somewhat higher than those required by the RAF and Army Air Corps. We also put all pilots through a three week pilot grading course at Plymouth Airport (RNAS Yeovilton from December 06) which is basically a practical aptitude test. The reason for the RN's higher standards is that as of 2002 and the FAA is a solely single pilot flying organisation. Whilst you may fly multi-crew you will more than likely be the only pilot embarked.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I will endeavour to provide some answers.

FLY NAVY