PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New SAR Aircraft??
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 18:40
NURSE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Flynx may well be popular with the RN as it seems to have a good track record on board. However, for Army use it is next to useless as it isn't big enough to do the job that the AAC need ie to provide support for Apache ops. It can't lift enough, it can't get enough troops in the cabin and, since it has no sensors of any kind - it is not a battlefield recce machine either.
The MOD keeps being criticised for not having enough battlefield helicopter lift capability yet the RAF buys Typhoon and the AAC will get Flynx. Meanwhile the Sea King fleet is knackered and can't cope with hot and high ops so we are left with not enough Chinooks and Merlins. But it's OK, Wastelands are propped up again by the UK taxpayer.
PS - liaison not laison
Interesting as SOHB lists the sensors the current lynx can carry and I'm sure they will be compatable with FLynx. As to lift I seam to remember a brief in the dim and distant past saying lynx was for lifting small teams like Milan or Javelin detachments or OP teams. And that lift of anything over a section strength would go by support helicopter. I agree the AAC lift capability is poor and 212's or 412's should be more widespread however in my opinion battlefield support hele should be part of the army just like the Americans and Australians have.