PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 13:50
Rocket Chucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uniform

I have just stumbled onto this thread.

In '82 when we had our little squabble with the Argies we moved from RAFG to UK on a civvy flight from Wildenrath to Luton before embarking at Brize for a luxury transfer to Ascension on a VC-10 (in full DPM and webbing less muskets). The passengers and staff at Luton were magnificent - not quite the round of applause situation on the video linked to in this thread but not far off.

Return flight not much different - apart from upsetting HM C&E at Brize when we turned up with weapons (made safe) and ammunition (in magazines/popuches) a few months later. I think they wanted us through the airport ASAP owing to the pervading body odour - once our weapons and ammunition had been removed and properly packed for transit.

I'm ashamed to think that this situation exists. The guys (and girls) who are out on 'peace keeping' duties throughout the various regions of the planet should know we are proud of them and greatly appreciate what they are doing whether we agree with the politics behind it or not.

The people who make these rules should be ashamed of themselves.