PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUBLIN
Thread: DUBLIN
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 10:56
Irish Steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The lastest questionable idea for access to Dublin airport

The latest stupidity is that the metro is being designed with the station that's supposed to serve the airport being planned to be under the Great Southern Hotel. That's over 800 Mtrs from the terminal, the wrong side of all the access roads, and with at present no usable pedestrian links to the terminal. Unless they come up with a VERY good design for a fast, accessible, powered covered travelator/walkway system, then it might be simpler and cheaper to forget the idea, as it won't get used. Could the concept that DAA owns the Great Southern, so will be able to make massive charges for "interlinking" to the terminal perhaps be connected, or is this a way to give DAA a "backhander" to reduce the debt mountain, the "cost" of putting the metro under the hotel needs to be watched VERY closely to ensure that there's not some "interesting" curved balls here!!!!

I was under the mistaken impression that an underground rail service to an airport terminal was supposed to connect to the terminal, not to some spurious location half a mile away that has no connections to the terminal worth talking about at present.

In view of the moderators problems with us using "strong" language about politicians and the like, I shall refrain from anything stronger, but I despair, whoever came up with this half baked insane concept is even more divorced from reality than the rest of the eejits that supposedly are in charge of Ireland's most successful pub!