PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A big warning to wannabes
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 10:25
AlphaMale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt Pit Bull
Seems to me a goodly number of you are getting stuck into this guy for saying something you would rather not contemplate.

Sounds rather like confirmation bias to me.

The fact of the matter is that flying is a highly risky career option: Huge up front costs (don't forget to account for your lost income during training), uncertain employment prospects, worsening T&Cs not to mention the teenie little snag of the depletion of oil reserves.

You guys need to take off your rose tinted spectacles.

CPB
I am not getting stuck into this guy, My uncle knows of two people (who are a couple infact) that loved flying one was an officer worker like myself the other a plumber/leccy (one or the other).

They both had their PPL's for 2 years before deciding to go for their full ticket for the big birds, They have both landed ailine jobs ... this was about 10 years ago mind.

They took the risk and I'm sure they don't regret it.

I'll take the risk too, I am not stupid and I'll look at the big picture before spending my money but from what I have learned on here it's not as easy as just passing the exams and BA will come running toward you with 777 begging you to fly them.

As I said in a previous post as long as I am flying I am happy to earn the same as I was in the office. If I can get £25k+ pa flying then I am happy.

I don't thin there are people looking through their rose tinted spectacles here. We all know the risks but I am happy to take that risk and look back knowing I gave it my best shot! If I don't make it ... Then I'll make use of my qualifications and become a FI on weekends or even full time

I don't drink/smoke/take drugs and I'll spend my money on Training and more training

Andrew