PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US pilotcharged in crash that killed South African teen
Old 10th Jul 2006, 09:00
Barndweller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it comes down to it the Pilot is the first person to arrive at the crash and he is the first person of whom the "suits" will start asking questions.
It is his absoulute responsibility to check the servicability and certification of the aircraft - " i didn't know it was out of check" will not cut it with the authorities - and rightly so.
If i fly an aircraft, for the first time, i go through the documents with a microscope and then keep an aye on the re-val dates as time goes on. You have to, because you are the one who is protecting yourself, your passengers, your income & assets and your liberty (this guy could be going to jail).
Every time you think about doing something that is a little bit outside the rules (and we all do) you have to ask - "what's this going to look like if the suits arrive or if there is a prang". Then you have to ask "is it worth it". The answer is usually "NO".

Oh and "Jetjackal". It may or may not be true be true that Lifejackets are no more a requirement than parachutes, but would you jump out of an aeroplane without a parachute on? No! Nor should you take off and land on water without a Lifejacket. It's common sense and it really irritates me when people trivialise the wearing of LJ's or mock people for doing so. People continue to survive aeroplane accidnts and drown afterwards because they were not wearing LJ's. WHY!!!!!?????

Safe Flying Ladies and Gents