PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NZ or OZ ATPL
Thread: NZ or OZ ATPL
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2006, 08:37
Sqwark2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ViagaraD,

My suggestion would be to stick to the NZ ATPL's if your worried about extended periods of time from your family.

Space77 is correct that any exisiting ATPL credits you have are valid for 5yrs from May this year. You have to gain an ATPL inside 5 yrs from sitting your first theory subject for that license. As it is a new rule exisiting credits were given exemption and assumed to have been sat on the day the rule came into effect.

I'll take a guess and say you have Human Factors and maybe Law already. If not both of those are reasonably comfortable self study subjects. I studied for the Law exam part-time for two weeks and got a good pass.

I recommend Pete Sumners Flight Planning & Navigation courses. Flightplanning is a 1 weekend course and Navigation is a 2 weekend course with a weekend in between to help with study and roster requirements. Both courses are about $275 and almost guarantee a pass.

I know of others like Langdon ?? who did a similar type course format for Instruments & navaids & maybe Systems & Performance. Others on the site might be able to update us onwether he is still doing the courses.

The only course that I haven't heard of is Met, and that is self studyable.

So for minimal time away, cheaper costs (in terms of international travel, accomodation etc) and with 5 yrs to complete all and sundry NZ ATPL's are my way to go.

I heard that the Marroochydore course is good & quick but is very study intensive with a tight deadline and multiple exam sittings in a short space of time. Miss an exam and you will have to fly back to Oz to re-sit. Do them in NZ and study 1 subject at a time at a comfortable pace.

Tips I give to those asking about their subjects are to book an exam date first and commit to it, give yourself a minimum of 1 month per subject, if you do Pete's course sit the first available exam date after the course to maximise knowledge retention.

Good Luck

S2K